Backup of 2 TB over internet

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
barri
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Backup of 2 TB over internet

Postby barri » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:46 pm

Hello,

I have a TonidoPlug and would like to backup a 2 TB harddrive to another computer or some cloud storage via the internet.

Is this at all realistic? Previously I used Crashplan and this allowed me to upload at 2500 kb/s to their servers. So, after about one month of initial upload, things were successfully backed up.
But using now Tonido Backup, it seems that I can not get such upload speeds. It seems that I am getting about 150 kb/s when backing up to another computer at work.

What can I do to improve this speed? Or can I upload to some cloud storage like crashplan? Unfortunately it seems that crashplan can not be installed on a tonidoplug, right? Is there any alternative? It also doesn't have to be a free solution. I am happy to pay up to 50 USD/year for a good backup solution.

thanks in advance for any advice.

geekWannabe
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Re: Backup of 2 TB over internet

Postby geekWannabe » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:39 pm

barri, I too use Crashplan, but backup to my own network of computers instead of Crashplan Central. I just got a TonidoPlug and hope to back up to it in the following manner.

Currently I'm backing up my office system to my home system and visa-versa. Now, with a tonidoplug, at home I'll map a drive to the tonidoplug. Then I'll direct the incoming Crashplan backups, which I have been storing on that machine, to the mapped drive which is actually on the plug. Then when I back up my work computer via Crashplan the backups will be directed to the plug. If this works acceptably, I'll get another tonidoplug to install at work so both home and work systems will have offsite backups without paying monthly fees. An additional benefit is that the plugs will be put to use as general file servers in both locations (and those files will be available from anywhere, if needed).

Since I'm editing video, I have a terrabyte of data in each location, so I hope the speed is acceptable. I'll report the results here.

barri
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby barri » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:59 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I have now used the plug for a few weeks and eventually have given up on it. The plug works ok, but it simply is not fast enough as a NAS. You get transfer rates of 6 MB/s.
Also, the Tonido software is extremely limited. Especially their backup software. It is much too slow for proper backups and lacks tons of features.

I now simply use an old Win XP laptop of mine (with USB drives attached) as the NAS. It is faster than the Tonido Plug, can run Crashplan, can even run Tonido, and I can also use it as a print server.
Only downside is that it consumes 50 W instead of 15, but it is worth it.

My plug will probably go on ebay unless I can find a use for a slow NAS.

geekWannabe
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby geekWannabe » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:45 pm

barri,

Thanks for sharing your experience. As for my intentions to use CrashPlan with the plug, I have created shares so windows sees the usb drives on the plug as lettered drives, but when I attempt to point CrashPlan to those drives as destinations, it doesn't see those drives as options, so my hopes are thus far unfulfilled, too.

barri
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby barri » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:05 pm

geekWannabe wrote:barri,

Thanks for sharing your experience. As for my intentions to use CrashPlan with the plug, I have created shares so windows sees the usb drives on the plug as lettered drives, but when I attempt to point CrashPlan to those drives as destinations, it doesn't see those drives as options, so my hopes are thus far unfulfilled, too.

Crashplan can not backup to NAS drives, even if they are mapped.

I have now changed my home network once more to a pretty sweet solution:
I suggest that you get yourself a cheap normal computer, or maybe you already have one sitting around. I simply now use an old AMD Athlon 2500+.
I then installed Ubuntu on it, equipped the computer with a gigabit network card, attached my USB drives to it, installed Crashplan and Tonido.
Now this setup is purely awesome. Through gigabit LAN I get very fast access to my drives, nearly same speed as if they were directly in my computer. E.g. 20 to 40 MB/s (depending on drive). Tonidoplug was 6 MB/s. And you can backup to this Computer using Crashplan, because you can do a Computer-to-Computer backup. Finally this computer makes an off-site backup of all data to the Crashplan server.
And after some playing with Linux, I even got the computer running as a print server.

I find Tonido a good idea, but the their software is still a bit limited and the plug is not living up to its expectations. It's having too low specs to fullfil proper NAS and backup functions.

thedarkmist
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby thedarkmist » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:29 am

I'm in the exact same situation. I bought a tonido, then discovered that it have so much limitations, that it's not an affordable solution both for NAS and for personal cloud. Plus, Crashplan (wich I really love) cannot map network drives due to a windows limitation. This all breaks the teoric cool solutions for archive, access and backup (wich is what I'm expecting from a personal cloud server as advertised on the tonido homepage.
Finally I had to buy a Synology as NAS solution with RAID, and revert to CrashPLan central for backups. It's sad, because I hoped to build my own personal cloud and offsite backup service, but this is the fact.
TheDarkMist

Return to “Tonido Software”