Music skipping on playback

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
jds
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Music skipping on playback

Postby jds » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:02 pm

I am the recent happy owner of a plug :D and one of the things I have been excited about is access to my music collection from my iPhone and at the office with Jukebox. However, within the past week I have been experiencing terrible skipping on playback with both the iPhone app and Jukebox. I have been using Tonido for about a month, first on my home computer and now on the plug (about 1.5 weeks). It worked flawlessly until the last week.

I noted another board post about the upload speed settings under admin and mine is set to unlimited. I use Verizon Fios with and upload speed of 1.8 - 2.0 Mb/s. Nothing on my network has changed since it was working, in fact, I was on vacation when this started and all other connected devices except the plug were shut down.

Any thoughts?? Hoping I can get this corrected quickly since it was one of the things I am most excited about using Tonido.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: Music skipping on playback

Postby madhan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:48 pm

Are you listening to music via iPhone app through 3G?
It is possible that bandwidth is not available through the network to play the song.

Check the streaming quality settings for Tonido in your iPhone settings for Tonido app.

You can also try playing the song via WiFi to see if it works better.

jds
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby jds » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:11 pm

Yep, I am listening via 3G, but that worked without fail for the first 3 weeks I was using Tonido installed on my home computer and the first couple days on the plug. I have the stream quality set on the lowest setting available on the phone and it still skips/studders. Can't remember if I tried it on my WiFi connection at home, but will tonight.

Re-reading my message below, I don't think I was clear in stating that the same problem exists when I use the Jukebox app on a remote computer. Same studdering experienced on the iPhone. Since both apps (phone and computer) worked when I had it installed on my computer and the network the plug is attached to is the same as my computer was using, it seems as though it is originating with the plug.

The more I thought about what things I have done different since the time it was working correctly, I can only think of initiating a backup from one plug to another. But the process hasn't been running while experiencing the skipping/studdering.

Thanks again for your prompt replies :)

jds
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby jds » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:29 pm

Tried the iPhone app at home on my WiFi network with no improvement. Also, still no change in the jukebox app on my computer. Could it be a performance issue with the HHD? I'm using a 500GB Segate drive that does not use an external power source.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:46 pm

Are you running Torrents? Open plug admin and look at the CPU usage to see if the plug is running at 100% CPU load.

jds
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby jds » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:17 pm

No, I am not running any torrents. I can't check the CPU right now, but last night when I tried both the phone and computer again I had just restarted the plug to make sure it was fresh and it still skipped badly.

jds
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby jds » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:18 pm

I checked the CPU and when not playing music it is only at a few %. When streaming music via phone or computer it is a 100%! Noticed on some other posts that there could be CPU usage issues related to the file system, NTSF. The new 500GB drive I have is NTSF. I have swapped it for an older 500GB drive that is FAT32 and CPU usage is still 100% during playback. I am not familiar with the ext3 format others have talked about. I will stream music over the next day to see if skipping/studdering occurs.

Why is CPU usage at 100% during playback?

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:12 pm

What type of music are you playing? If it is non-mp3 the plug is encoding to MP3 for streaming causing the load.

If you are listening to mp3, but if your streaming rate is set to be different from actual file rate, encoding happens again.

jds
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby jds » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:28 pm

madhan wrote:If you are listening to mp3, but if your streaming rate is set to be different from actual file rate, encoding happens again.

Interesting. So is it normal for the CPU to be 100% during any playback? What happens if I'm doing anything else while listening to music? I have a large amount of music in WMA, MP3 and other formats at different bit rates & even on MP3's it is still using 100%. Don't really want to re-rip all my music!

I did get the studdering to stop after switching from the Seagate drive that is powered by the USB to a WD drive that is externally powered. I'm going to assume that my issue was related to a lack of power to properly spin the disks. Anyone agree?

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:02 am

Just because CPU is 100% doesn't mean nothing else gets done, the OS should allow everything else to happen including encoding.

About the switch to HDD, you might want to confirm with exact song on the two different disks to verify there is no issue. It is certainly possible.

Return to “Tonido Software”