Web Access questions...

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
EricBJ
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Web Access questions...

Postby EricBJ » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:49 pm

In my experimenting with Tonido some questions have come to mind regarding the web access...

The default web access port of 10001, it appears that I can change it. Am I going to cause problems for myself if I do? I currently have 3 systems on my internal network that are using your software. I need to forward a different port to each of them for web access. I know I am probably stating the obvious but I just want to confirm that I am understanding things correctly.

The URL provided for web access, "http://bigred.tonidoid.com:10001". Is the web access connection going through your servers or are your servers providing a dynamic DNS like service to locate IP addresses to make web access possible. I ask this because it will determine how I setup my firewall to deal with web access. If the connection is routed through your servers, then all I have to do is allow connections from your servers to make it through my firewall. If it is just helping to locate IP addresses then I need to allow all connections to be forwarded through my firewall.

Is the possibility of secure http connections something that might be coming in the future?

Is the bigred@tonidoid.com address an actual email address or is it just a chat connection being redirected by your servers?

I can this service developing into something very useful, particularly for the small office traveler who can't afford the extra equipment needed to create sure access to their internal network.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: Web Access questions...

Postby madhan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:04 pm

The default web access port of 10001, it appears that I can change it. Am I going to cause problems for myself if I do? I currently have 3 systems on my internal network that are using your software. I need to forward a different port to each of them for web access. I know I am probably stating the obvious but I just want to confirm that I am understanding things correctly.

Yes, you can change the port to whatever you want. In fact this is one of the reasons you want to change the port. Say you have 3 machines. A, B, C
Setup your network like this.
A -- 10001
B -- 10002
C -- 10003

Now you can setup individual port forwards from WAN traffic on each of these ports to each internal IPs for A, B, C. I hope this is clear.

The URL provided for web access, "http://bigred.tonidoid.com:10001". Is the web access connection going through your servers or are your servers providing a dynamic DNS like service to locate IP addresses to make web access possible.

Yes, it is the former. Tonido just provides Dynamic DNS access to your IP, we never funnel traffic. One of the reasons is privacy and the other is maximum self-sufficiency. We want to provide the minimum to make it work and get out of the way.

Is the possibility of secure http connections something that might be coming in the future?

Yes definitely, full SSL support is coming.

Is the bigred@tonidoid.com address an actual email address or is it just a chat connection being redirected by your servers?

Nope, it is not an email address. It is just a Tonido address that looks like an email address. It represents Tonido instances. We just made it similar to an email address, so it helps people understand it better.
So for example, if you want to set up a Photos transfer group between two Tonido instances, once you know the ID, you can setup a Tonido group and then transfer photos directly. You can also sync workspace data when you use Tonido Workspace.

I can this service developing into something very useful, particularly for the small office traveler who can't afford the extra equipment needed to create sure access to their internal network.

Glad you like Tonido, we hope too that Tonido is popular. :)
Feel free to clarify anything else you don't understand. By answering your questions, we are getting a feel for the potential issues that people might face.

Return to “Tonido Software”