Synch

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
japomani
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Synch

Postby japomani » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:09 am

can your software synch files between different computers, like MS Live Mesh or dropbox?

That would really help if it did. Then I could replace DropBox with you and carbonite.

Thanks

japomani
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Re: Synch

Postby japomani » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:06 pm

I did some more reading, (realized I miss spelled sync in my original search) and found that at least back in october, there was no folder sync option. Is that still the case? I really like Tonido, but with out sync I will have to use something like Windows Live Mesh, which I would prefer not to do.

So, can rsync or similar tools be integrated into Tonido? is that something you are already working on? If so, do you have a time line?

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:46 pm

We don't have folder sync at this moment, only backup, sorry. We don't have any timelines yet.

geeknam
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby geeknam » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:36 am

Please try installing lsyncd (auto sync but only one way) or unison (sync two ways but need cron jobs). This is a youtube video that shows how lsyncd works

japomani
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby japomani » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:06 pm

You might look into http://www.sparkleshare.org/, it is open source syncing. It might be a good addition to tonido.

thedarkmist
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby thedarkmist » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:35 am

madhan wrote:We don't have folder sync at this moment, only backup, sorry. We don't have any timelines yet.

So please remove from this list:
http://www.tonido.com/business_products.html
TheDarkMist

atka007
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby atka007 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:57 pm

I was looking into a lot of applications to set up my company with a file sync application, thats how I found Tonido. We are doing Visual FX with several remote artists all over the world and I am trying to set up the system that these artists can work together and their work is synchronized automaticaly. Originaly I used Dropbox which gives me 20% what I need (cant create users :( ). I am starting to realize that Tonido gives me the other 80% but I cant find any application that does 100%.
What I would need:
1. The application on my server where I can share out folders located on my network (tonido does that right)
2. Users and groups of users with different permissions to folders (tonido does that pretty good)
3. Automatic synchronization of files from my folders to their folders (like dropbox), not the download one by one files, thats very olschool :( (this folder syncing has to go both ways). And sync only the changed ones.
4. A package deal : i would pay more for my server license , but I would like to have free access for my users , so they can sync into my folders what they are working on
5. These files can get very big , like 3-4GB /file I need that to sync with no errors (we cant afford tracking down broken data in a long sequence of cache or rendered image)
6. Safety : I have to convince my clients that this file transfer is secure and their shots are not leaking out on the internet

Is there a chance that Tonido will mach these requirements or I shall keep looking?
Thank you

Attila
http://www.hyperorganic.com

thedarkmist
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby thedarkmist » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:12 am

After various weeks I ended to understand that Tonido is a very very immature TOY, far from the needs of a professional user. Dropbox, Sugarsync or a Synology NAS does much more things in an easy and more stable way.
It's really a pity, for me.
TheDarkMist

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:45 pm

@atka007
Sync is something we are looking at adding.

@thedarkmist
If you can share more on what makes you think that, it would help a lot.

thedarkmist
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby thedarkmist » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:49 pm

@madhan: I already wrote a lot of different posts (see my profile) and the most of them ended with something like "sorry, it's not possible".
A rapid summary:
1- auto login to web interface when connected locally
2- mount tonido as local drive also from remote computers outside LAN
3- incremental backups
4- sync: the dropbox way
5- random code in public shareable links for security purposes
6- whitelabeled interface (rebrandable)
7- able to use our domain with no issues
TheDarkMist

Return to “Tonido Software”