adding a share on my NAS

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
bdee1
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

adding a share on my NAS

Postby bdee1 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:45 am

i want to add a photo share. I clicked on add share and it lets me browse my local system for a folder to share but all my photos live on my NAS (\\myNAS\photos\). how to i add a tonido photo share directly to my NAS folder without having to map a drive?

Tuxedo
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Re: adding a share on my NAS

Postby Tuxedo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:05 am

Unfortunately, the Windows version of Tonido blocks sharing from a network mapped drive. The reason is that Tonido keeps track of file changes automatically and will sync the changes to the group. This is done by registering to a file change event generated by windows. This event will not be generated if the underlying drive is a mapped network drive. So Tonido doesn't support sharring from mapped network drives

However, if Tonido is running on Mac or Linux and the NAS drive is NFS mounted, then it can be shared.

bdee1
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby bdee1 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:16 pm

Tuxedo wrote:Unfortunately, the Windows version of Tonido blocks sharing from a network mapped drive. The reason is that Tonido keeps track of file changes automatically and will sync the changes to the group. This is done by registering to a file change event generated by windows. This event will not be generated if the underlying drive is a mapped network drive. So Tonido doesn't support sharring from mapped network drives

However, if Tonido is running on Mac or Linux and the NAS drive is NFS mounted, then it can be shared.

thats a bummer. its cool software but this limitation makes it kinda useless for me.

AmityWeb
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby AmityWeb » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:49 pm

hi

is this the same for an external hard disk? I setup a share but on my other machine with tonido i cant see any photos.

I wanted to use tonido as a sync system too, to transfer all photos and songs to another computer and keep them in sync, but it looks like it doesnt do that?

thanks

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:13 pm

There should be no problem sharing photos that are in external harddisk in windows version (There is no restrictions for linux and MacOSX). Let me know if you do see issues sharing a folder on a external harddisk and we will debug it.

The only restriction is for network mounted drives in windows version where networked drives can cause problem during folder monitoring action.

Thanks

Return to “Tonido Software”