Backup sync option?

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: Backup sync option?

Postby madhan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:47 am

Feedback noted. Thanks for taking the time. Sync is high on our todo list. But if we do it, we want to do it right as well. So expect it in 2011!

agrajag
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby agrajag » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:09 am

japomani wrote:So, I'm just sayin' you may want to look at your list again to see if maybe the market has moved around you and some of what is on your list maybe should move down to make room for folder sync.

by the way, is there a Roadmap/ToDo-List anywhere, so that we can see, whats going on with our favorite cloud-software?
Keeping track over Features in this forum is not so comfortable.
Some kind of Bugtracking/Feature-Tracking System like on sourceforge would be nice. :roll:

Hmmm... :idea:
What about voting/donating for features?
So you could see what the users really want and move things up or down on your list...
Just a silly idea...

woutc
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby woutc » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:30 pm

aaaand another vote for sync!

esj
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby esj » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:07 pm

the big problem is synchronization is that between two machines machines it's easy, between three is pretty F'N difficult. a simple problem is what to do when a single file is changed on one machine and its changes are propagated to all others up before the change cycle finishes, the file changes on a different machine. Do you propagate? Do you force a merge process? Now imagine file changing on a dozen machines once. Enough to make you mad.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:24 am

Yep!

ericgus
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby ericgus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:17 pm

Just throwing my 2 cents in for a more robust "feature complete" WebDAV .. stuff like "sync" (yes please, please, please) .. and the ability to support upload-resume via webdav .. its so heart breaking to use webdav on a Mac OSX via Finder mounted share folders and have it not live up to the potential it could be..

I would be thrilled to hear that even something as basic as "rsync" from the osx command line works properly with a Finder mounted webdav Tonido share..

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:42 pm

Believe me. Sync is going to get the treatment next :mrgreen:

tonyw
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby tonyw » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi,
I'm brand new to the concept of Tonido and the idea of a home based file server plus apps. I'm on the verge of buying a Tonido Plug.

Synching certain folders is a deal breaker for me. I currently use Windows Live something or-other (Microsoft's product line is so confusing with similar named services). I find Live Mesh and its more current incarnation too slow on my netbook. I should look at Dropbox too.

Tonido introduces a whole new option for me:
1. backup my work files to an external drive so all these files are accessible.
2. Sync certain folders (my current work in progress and my volunteering related folders with minutes, agendas, meeting materials etc). The sync'd folders would be a subset of the files that are backed up.

So my sync'd folders are updated between my laptop (main PC) and netbook (take to meetings and on trips). And if I need something from the archives, I can log into Tonido and download it.

I'm less interested in streaming music, movies, etc. Photos maybe would be nice but Google Picasa albums works well. You can classify me as a home-office business user.

So a vote for folder sync'ing (for selected folders)

thanks,
-Tony

tonyw
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby tonyw » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:30 pm

esj wrote:the big problem is synchronization is that between two machines machines it's easy, between three is pretty F'N difficult. a simple problem is what to do when a single file is changed on one machine and its changes are propagated to all others up before the change cycle finishes, the file changes on a different machine. Do you propagate? Do you force a merge process? Now imagine file changing on a dozen machines once. Enough to make you mad.

Hi esj,
Is what you are describing multiple users editing the same file at the same time? . It seems, for that level of file permission management, you need a major network database that checks files out and in and manages edit permissions. Or Google Docs that allows multiple concurrent editors.

For a $99 solution, I'm willing to manually coordinate with others on when they can start editing the file. Watching how MS Live Mesh seems to work, after a file is saved to the source harddrive, Live Mesh updates its list of changes. Then when another PC on the mesh signs on, Live mesh compares files in the sync folders and syncs them if necessary. This necessitates a wait when you login to allow the folders to sync. If you are working with other people, you'd send them a message that you are finished with the file and the next person can carry on.

Note: for a Tonido sync solution, I'd like to see folder level sync rather than whole harddrive. Also changing only parts of files that have changed would certainly speed up the sync'ing.

kkm5848
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby kkm5848 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:18 am

i also support a sync option...i currently use sugar sync...and would prefer to use my tonido device...

Return to “Tonido Software”