Backup sync option?

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
Xious
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Backup sync option?

Postby Xious » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:32 pm

I just set up Tonido on my home computer and work computer. I want to keep My Documents synchronized between the two computers. Is there any way to do that with the Backup application? From what I could see, it only backs up data from one source to another, but I may be missing some settings. Can someone point me in the right direction or maybe tell me what a good way to set up a sync using Tonido? I appreciate the help.

X

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Re: Backup sync option?

Postby rydgaze » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:58 pm

Tonido Backup does not do the "sync" function. You would need to setup two backups and store them seperately (dont set the target folder of the first backup to be the same folder as the source folder for the second backup).

Xious
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby Xious » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:09 pm

Yeah, unfortunately, that's not even close to a sync option. Is there any other way to utilize the P2P with another sync software?

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:51 am

Unfortunately there external applications cannot use the Tonido P2P facility (atleast at this point).

There is a plan to provide a "briefcase sync" facility. The plan was to add it to backup plugin If we see sufficient interest in such a function .

Wisperbird
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

Postby Wisperbird » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:07 am

I never tried, but I do believe it might be possible with
SugarSync and/or ZumoDrive

And if your private files don't exceed the 1.5 gig boundary it is completely free

An other way might be to buy a TonidoPlug and store all your private files there.
Then the only limit is the size of your USB drive.
Additional advantage you can acces your files from anywhere in this world where you have a computer connected to the internet.

And it only takes 20 watts to function.

jcrewe
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby jcrewe » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:49 pm

I am also interested in the sync solution. I currently use dropbox and SpiderOak but I would prefer to control my own cloud. I saw that Tonido lists sync as a pending application.
Any ETA on sync?

I also saw http://smestorage.com/?p=static&page=ownFileserver which could be a possible way to setup your own sync.

kghunt
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby kghunt » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:28 pm

Thats +1 for a sync solution, I currently use dropbox for file storage and backup and Tonido for torrents and access my remote drives.

Id love to use Tonido for the whole lot but I need a cross platform sync application.

I would like to be able to set up a folder on my Tonido and sync it with a folder on my laptop, netbook, wifes latop and terminal services option.

Every man and their Dog is writing sync apps at the moment and Tonido competitors like Pogoplug have a (crap) sync solution.

If Tonido provided a sync app then it would explode its user base and the rest of the app would follow suit. But people would come for the sync app.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Noted, we have a lot of the pieces already for a sync solution. We will consider it.

knireis
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

Postby knireis » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:12 am

i agree with the need for a sync solution, people have more than 1 or 2 computers these days, usually in a household there are 3-4. So a sync solution would be perfect. And then i mean a real sync solution, which is capable of detecting file changes/deletions on both sides.
Something like the excellent freefilesync program which can run on windows and linux.

jacobfogg
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby jacobfogg » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:52 pm

I know this is an old thread. Sync is exactly what I am needing as well. I am currently using Dropbox, but like many others, I feel like there are currently a few scary points in their TOS. I would much rather host my own cloud. I already have a webserver setup in my home hosting personal websites. I have in the past used FTP and a tool to mount the FTP drive as a local drive, but if connectivity is not solid, it causes all kinds of problems.

I have found a few paid apps for setting up a webDav folder sync, and am willing to pay the $30 to buy it, but I wanted to check first to see if either there are any open source tools, or maybe something already available with Tonido that I haven't found...

Return to “Tonido Software”