SSL License

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Re: SSL License

Postby rydgaze » Sat May 07, 2011 4:14 pm

I understand the requirement for using a self signed SSL cert. With the current resources, To handle/debug so many (incorrect) types of installation and the various client apps (mobile et al) became pretty hard to manage.

The relay, however, does support SSL (just use https://yourid.tonidoid.com ) . As you can see, we really don't want relay routing if we can help it (as it means we have to pay for the bandwidth usage :D ) and it is there purely for convenience purposes. The mobile apps do use local IP (no relay routing) for access.

We will end up with some kind of solution for those who want to do port forward + SSL cert. unfortunately, I just don't have an ETA on that.

736dave
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby 736dave » Sat May 07, 2011 4:28 pm

OK thanks, it is good to hear it is on your list.

Is it reasonable to say SSL via your relay provides secure authentication and encrypted-only traffic between canadian clients, (US relays), and canadian servers? e.g. if the FBI came to you with a court-order to 'troll' our data, would you be able to comply? Or is that overstating the current security?

By the way, do you post your todo list? A prioritized 'backlog' would be nice to see and provide meaningful feedback. Check out these guys:

http://notesplusapp.com/versions/development-progress

Thanks again,
- d

kpholmes
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby kpholmes » Sat May 07, 2011 10:33 pm

i just thought of a simple solution, what if you installed a vpn server on your tonido machine, all clients run through vpn. connect "locally" through the vpn, which if you set it up properly it can secure all your network traffic, including tonido.

this is my first post, i created this account for the sole purpose of this thread. security is number 1 importance, especially this day in age where we put more and more data online, your app wants to share peoples WHOLE computers in their own cloud. AWESOME! i love it, but how personal is everones cloud if all the traffic has to be ran through your servers? i know that troubleshooting all different kinds of devices is a daunting task; but that doesnt mean that security should take the fall. have you thought of supporting less devices, then working your way up to more and more?

im looking forward to hearing back from everyone about this topic, the vpn thing could be the way to go, i know that iphone supports l2tp, pptp, and ipsec. dont know about android.

and i just want to also thank the developers of this incredible program, please keep up the good work! :P

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Sun May 08, 2011 10:05 am

Thanks for the detailed feedback. This help prioritize the work queue. We will definitely be working on getting back SSL certificate (Self signed or supplied by codelathe) for non-relayed traffic.

Any solution we select has to be platform agnostic as Tonido is currently running on one form or another on variety of hardware and software platform.

agrajag
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby agrajag » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:24 pm

rydgaze wrote:Thanks for the detailed feedback. This help prioritize the work queue. We will definitely be working on getting back SSL certificate (Self signed or supplied by codelathe) for non-relayed traffic.

Any news on that?
When can we expect SSL to be back again?

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:26 pm

We are working on it. Thanks for your patience.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:59 pm

As mentioned before, we are not supporting self signed SSL yet because of issues with our mobile apps working correctly in some situations. Till then please use relay with https://<youraccountname>.tonidoID.com

krispy
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

Postby krispy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:13 am

My current license expires in a few weeks. Suggest you come out with a new license available in the store, or allow self-signed installation, or extend my current license. I can NOT use relay effectively, due to speed from my location...

ote
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby ote » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:00 am

HI,

I have a follow up question regarding this issue.
I have an SSL permit, and actively use it.

However, i've recently reflashed my tonidoplug (plug was on the frits, turned out to be a broken hdd), but now there seems that there is no more way for me to install the zip file.
am I missing something here or is this indeed the case?

Is there still a way to install the zip file? It still is an active product, as you say yourselves, right? Seems to me that then I should be able to use it. perhaps an old version of tonido I could install, then install the zipfile, and subsequently update to the most recent tonido?

regards, gj

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:54 am

You could just unzip it and transfer the files into the /root/app/tonido directory and then restart tonido.

Return to “Tonido Software”