Tonido & the entertainment industry: one pro's opinion.

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
optofonik
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Tonido & the entertainment industry: one pro's opinion.

Postby optofonik » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:47 pm

I work in the entertainment industry (feature films & episodic television) and my colleagues and I are always looking for solutions for the type of problems Tonido could solve if it worked consistently and reliably. I work with some of the highest profile people in the world of popular culture and every time I try to turn one of them on to Tonido it fails to live up to the hype. It is too kludgy and clumsy for any of us to recommend it to others in our business or name check it on TV or in print interviews. We like to be the first to use something cool and we're the last to suggest something that has the potential to be so embarrassingly unreliable. A few of my colleagues and I had really high hopes.

It's simply is not simple to use. If someone wants to share their "jukebox" with a "guest" (read: let a director, producer, etc., audition a music cue) it should be as simple as following the instructions but the only reliable part of the experience is the error message that will pop up sooner or later. I started to try and troubleshoot until I realized it's just not worth the effort anymore. After a year of different issues cropping up over and over with very little actual productive use I realized I spent more time researching how un-straightforward a process is than actually implementing the particular feature. If I send the url for a Webshare (read: tell a colleague they can download their copy of the show's script, DOOD, shooting schedule, etc., from my HD) it should send the correct address, I shouldn't have to manually remove unwanted characters from the address then re-mail it after figuring out it what was wrong with the address generated by Tonido. Especially after it was sent successfully in the past. I don't like having to apologize for poorly implemented software - that's what leads me to ditch such offending programs.

I am frustrated in the extreme every time I tell a friend or colleague to, "go to my Tonido server and download..." and it doesn't work. For someone in my professional position it is a huge embarrassment. I end up having to troubleshoot why they can't simply do something that Tonido is supposed to do so easily. It always ends up being something to do with a feature not working as it did once before - it's unrealiable. It seems to me that after a year I must declare Tonido as dead to me and everyone I have tried to introduce it to. I cannot keep subjecting myself and others to a program that doesn't work as advertised. Every time a friend, colleague, or - heaven forbid - a client, tries to access my Tonido server and it fails one more potential user is eliminated. Users that could help Tonido become a viral juggernaut in popular culture.

I really wanted this to work out. Wanted it to be as easy and reliable. For the record, I use complex software on a daily basis and I spec out and occasionally build my own and friends' high end PCs for fun (most are used for audio recording and video editing at home using dual and triple head video cards, professional AD/DA converters, MIDI, SMPTE, word clock, hardware control surfaces, etc., they all work flawlessly) so I know my way around GUIs and CPUs. Getting Tonido to work reliably and recommending it to others is becoming unworthy of my efforts. Why can't it simply work correctly every time? Install, configure, implement - Tonido should perform that easily without constant attention instead of being so tediously high maintenance.

Tuxedo
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Re: Tonido & the entertainment industry: one pro's opinion.

Postby Tuxedo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time to give us this feedback.
Like you said, you share your file/folder/music with somebody and they use it without any problems. That is what Tonido is all about.

Earlier releases of Tonido we used to receive a lot feedback from users about Tonido's initial setup and configuration. Most of them felt the initial setup was hard. We changed (and still changing) the setup process a lot of to make it easier. We even created the relay service based on user feedback. We even created full guest access to Jukebox in our latest release based on user feedback ( you were one of the first user to request that feature )

We haven't received many negative feedback about the stability or reliability or maintainability of Tonido. We will work with you to resolve all the issues you have. A business case like your's is one of the reason why Tonido exists.
- Are you updated to the latest version of Tonido v0.8.xxxx?
- Can you please give us details of the error message you are getting with guest user access. A screen shot will definitely help. Also some information on when you are getting the error message. While listening to a song or when the jukebox is in idle state or while navigating through different folders
- You said you were having issues with sending emails. I think you are referring to sending webshare URL via email. Can you give a sample URL that had failed for you.
- Also please let us know any other issues you have with the stability.

Again thank you reporting these issues and hopefully we will resolve these issues for you and will try to get you on the happy/satisfied user camp.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:18 am

Thanks for the candid feedback. We would love to improve Tonido and fix the bugs that are there, which we have been doing since we released last year. If you tell us what is unreliable or what is hard to use we will fix it.

If we haven't fixed a bug in the software, it means we simply are not aware of it as we don't allow any release to go out with a known bug.

So we would appreciate if you can tell us what is wrong and then give a chance to fix it. Tonido is evolving software as evident by the heavy development we are doing on it.

Let us know.

optofonik
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby optofonik » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:28 am

I'll send more details this weekend.

Return to “Tonido Software”