If you are following the news, the internet is currently abuzz with the massive celebrity photo hacking incident. Hundreds of celebrities are affected by this leak including Academic Award winner Jennifer Lawrence and super model Kate Upton. According to news sources, hackers hacked either celebrities Apple iCloud or Dropbox accounts. The exact details of how the hacking happened is not completely clear yet . One can read more about this story in NPR here. Here is the editorial piece from NYTimes on the same topic.
The primary reason we founded Tonido is to provide a safe alternative to public online services where the users have complete control and ownership of the data. We have reiterated many times that the public cloud online services are inherently unsafe to store personal photos. When hundreds of millions users use a centralized cloud like iCloud (300 M+ accounts) or Dropbox (300 M accounts) or Google Drive to store personal documents and photos, the potential reward of hacking such systems are quite high. These centralized online services are waiting to be hacked every second of a day, 365 days a year. One successful hacking attempt can inadvertently expose many users private data. Even if these companies employ world’s leading computer security experts, there will never be a guarantee that these systems are completely safe.
There is also a genuine concern that individuals hand over their personal data to corporate entities without fully understanding the consequences. There is always a risk that your personal data will be data mined for profit motives. If you use iPhone or Android Phone, you are automatically opt-in to backup your photos/videos to their respective cloud services. Opting out from automatic backup is a not an intuitive process. These systems are primarily designed to suck the personal data rather than safe guarding it. Even if you delete the photos from your device there is no guarantee that it will be deleted from the cloud server. Further, once your personal data enters the public cloud, the data is at the mercy of those who administer it. In short, “Don’t put private files in the cloud if you don’t want it to get out “
But users have choices though. Privacy doesn’t has to be a privilege. A little commonsense can go long way. A distributed system like Tonido will always be order of magnitude more secure than Dropbox or Google Drive. Tonido is probably one of the best system to safeguard your personal data because of its anonymity, zero knowledge of user password and storage of data in the user device rather than the cloud.
For instance, let us go through the Tonido account creation process. Users can choose any name as their account name. We don’t have real name policy like public clouds. User passwords are neither transmitted to us or stored in our servers. If somebody wants to hack the system, hacking our servers is not going to help. They have to individually hack every device that is running Tonido. if you choose a sufficiently hard user name and the password then hackers need to hack both the username and the password. Users can choose a secondary question and answer to further protect thier accounts. Since your unique username is part of the device URL (https://yourname.tonidoid.com), phishing attempts can be quickly discovered by the users.
Here are 10 Reasons Why you should consider Tonido over Public online services for storing private data?
- No Real Name Policy – Unlike Facebook or Google, we don’t require a real name to create Tonido account. You can choose any name.
- Completely Independent – To facilitate ease of use, we provide dynamic dns and relay server to access your Tonido device from anywhere. You are free to use your own.
- Complete Control – Turn it On or Turn it Off any time.
- Private and anonymous shares– Tonido allows you to create private and anonymous file shares
- Ephemeral Shares – Tonido allows you to create time limited, ephemeral file shares that you can use to share content with friends and family
- Guest user support – Create user accounts for your family members and friends in your own Personal Cloud
- Works without internet – The application and data is always local. You can access your Tonido device from your home network even if there is no internet
- Password Security – We don’t store your passwords in our system.
- Cross Platform and works on any device – Tonido is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Just a Raspberry Pi is enough to run Tonido.
- Powerful Alternative to Online Services – Out of the Box, Tonido can replace Google Drive, Dropbox, Picassa, Flickr, Facebook and Spotify (If you own your music).
In addition to the security benefits, Tonido is extremely simple to use. It will take less than 5 minutes to set it up. One can also automatically backup photos/videos from iPhones/Android Phones to their own Personal Cloud without worrying about security and privacy.
We invite Jeniffer, Kate and other individuals, who would like to safeguard their private data to try out Tonido Personal Cloud. We promise you will not be disappointed.