Introducing TonidoPlug2

The Announcement

Finally, the wait is over. TonidoPlug has just got slicker, cooler and better. CodeLathe is happy to announce the introduction of new plug computer: TonidoPlug2.  The plug is currently in production and should be available soon in our stores.

Introducing the new TonidoPlug2

Features

TonidoPlug2 is packed with all the features of the TonidoPlug. If you are new to the Tonido’s plug device series, here are some major features:

• Energy efficient, green, personal cloud device.
  • Convert your USB drive to a network attached storage(NAS)  accessible as a networked drive.
  • Access your device, using your own URL (http://yourname.tonidoid.com).
  • None of your data is stored in any of our or third-party servers.
  • Securely share and sync files, photos and music without need for uploading.
  • Drag-and-Drop file and folder uploading to your TonidoPlug from Windows, Linux, OSX from remote locations via WebDAV.
  • Sync your Files
  • Listen to your MP3s from anywhere
  • Download Torrents to your USB drive from anywhere
  • Search and download your files
  • Stream media to the XBox 360 and PS3
  • Access and share files with free mobile apps. Apps available for iPhone, Android, BlackBerry and Windows 7.
  • Extend your TonidoPlug with new apps from Tonido App store

Whats New

TonidoPlug2 get these face-lifts compared to its predecessor:

• Newer, cooler form factor.
  • Plug can act as an NAS enclosure for internal 2.5 inch SATA drive. Now you can have a complete, standalone NAS.
  • Built-in b/g/n WiFi. Now plug can literally goto your closet or attic, without ugly cables running around.
  • Experimental WiFi Hotspot feature. So you can use your TonidoPlug as an extended storage for your iPad or SmartPhones when you are out and about, even when there is no network.
  • Newer Linux OS.
  • 512 MB DDR3 memory in-lieu of DDR2.

When

We expect to start shipping TonidoPlug2 by end of this month. We will also announce pricing soon.

Meanwhile, to get notified when we start shipping you can subscribe to our TonidoPlug2 availability mailing list.

1. Leba says:

looks cool good news guys 🙂
    what version of linux is it running?
    “Experimental WiFi Hotspot feature. So you can use your TonidoPlug as an extended storage for your iPad or SmartPhones when you are out and about, even when there is no network.”
    so i take it it has a battery in it, or you giving away extension leads too? lol

2. madhan says:

Its running Debian Squeeze.
    No, we mentioned no network, not no power. 🙂

3. Cleon says:

So will there be some sort of early adopter discount for those that ordered the 1st gen plug?

4. Seron says:

eSATA? eSATA?? Pleeeeaasssee??

5. Chris says:

I had decided to get the $99 version not so long ago, mainly the price got me interested compared to the other few Plug Computers out there Tonido hadn’t offered anything unique.
    Until now!
    These wifi features have sold me.

Now, lets talk Australian resellers, because your postage and T&C are a bit off-putting (I’m in trade and logistics administration) and pricey..

Any Chance your TP2 will be in Australia available from a reseller in 2011?
    I’ll be taking 2 as gifts and one for myself!

6. Tim says:

So does the hardware update include a new and faster CPU in the unit? Possibly a dual-core processor?

7. teddy says:

Good news.
    Hope it will be available in eu plug from the start.

8. Don says:

Great news! I can’t wait to see the specs and hear others talk about it. I remember lots of people asking for WiFi; though, personally, it’s not needed and it’s a power drain.

How does the power usage compare to the old plug? I bet it’s more variable with WiFi and a disk enclosure.

9. critStock says:

Look like no eSATA, and no USB 3.0, either.

10. Sameer Wahab says:

With workhorses like Logitech’s Revue (1.2GHz Atom processor, 1G RAM, 5G flash, wireless keyboard, Honeycomb etc.) selling for less than $100, TonidoPlug2 should sell for around $50.

11. facelessuser says:

Nice!

12. SIMIEON says:

Hi.
    I know that a iTunes music libary can be moved to another hard drive connected to the same computer. But, Can this be done to a hard-drive connected to a Plug2 ? Is it also possible to host iTunes itself fully on an Plug2 system and its connected disk drives?

13. Ragu says:

TonidoPlug2 is more than a Cloud Storage with its Apps feature and outweighs PogoPlug and any other similar cloud storage services. For more, http://www.cloudpropel.com/tonidoplug_personal_cloud.html

14. Hal Durnford says:

It’s just a few days past that ‘available end of September’ in your posting. Any update for those of us chomping on the bit? Pre-orders perhaps?
    Thanks!

15. Don says:

How does this TonidoPlug2 overcome the power supply failures we have been seeing with the earlier incarnations of the TonidoPlug, and with plug computers in general? I see TonidoPlug2 is quite a different shape than others.

16. greg says:

The old version was out of stock for months. Then this new version was supposed to ship by the end of Sep. and now it’s the middle of Oct. (16th)
    I think you might have lost some customers. I just got tired of waiting and switched to Skydrive. If Pogoplug’s Linux drivers weren’t still Beta, I would have bought one of those. I also liked the old TonidoPlug design without a hard drive better. I would have liked the new version just to have a SD slot that’s SDXC compatible. I also agree with Sameer Wahab comments, the price is too high.

17. teddy says:

hope the europe one while be release soon. And that the coupon code will be also available 🙂

18. Andrew says:

I have been waiting for the plug to become available for months now, and now that it is, I’m informed on checkout that you don’t ship to Canada 🙁