New Tonido Release 1.9.0.11838 Highlights

This is the best and most significant Tonido release ever and our first release to reach and cross the magical 1.0 version number.

fullsize

As mentioned in the preview, we basically took a hard look at how our users were using Tonido and switched around the entire interface to reflect that usage. In case you missed it, the design makes all the major Tonido pieces easily available

• a brand new cool File Explorer
  • a shortcut to a listing of Shared Files
  • a shortcut to Guest Users
  • shortcuts to all your Tonido apps
  • a shortcut to managing your apps
  • a shortcut to settings
  • a shortcut to documentation and help

Here are some of the salient features:

Fully Integrated Navigation across apps

This is big, now you know exactly where you are in Tonido and it is 1 click to switch to another app or another section or setting.

navi1

The navigation can be minimized by clicking the the collapse button, which makes the navigation tree collapse to the left hand side to get more space.

Once collapsed, you get more working room.

collapsed

Multi-File Upload Support

The first big change is the ability to upload multiple files in Tonido Explorer. Select as many different files as you want and then hit upload.

fupload

Optional Uncompression of Zip Files on Upload

If selecting multiple files is laborious and you want to upload a full folder full of stuff. Just zip it up, and upload it, the zip will get unzipped after it gets uploaded. Nifty, eh?

Drag-and-Drop Copy Support

There are almost 3 ways to copy files and by far the coolest ways is to drag multiple files from one folder to another.

drag

Post Links to Facebook/Twitter

Tonido has to keep up with the times and that means we need to make things easy for people to share links on Facebook or Twitter.

fshare

Keyboard shortcuts galore

We added a dash of keyboard shortcuts in many places to make it easier for you work. Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V for copying, DELETE for deleting files, F2 for file rename are some of them.

Open Apps in the same window or in a new window

open_menu

You can right click on an app to open it in the same window or in a new window (like how it used to open previously)

Other Bug Fixes

We also fixed several bugs, including a crash and memory leak in Mac OSX, an issue with Tonido data paths in Windows.

While Tonido’s UI has been undergoing evolutionary changes over the last year, this release extends beyond evolution and actually marks a significant jump. And in doing so, we believe that these changes lay the foundation upon which Tonido and app user interfaces will evolve over next few years.

As you use this new UI, please let us know either via our blogs, forums, facebook or twitter on what you liked, what you didn’t like and everything in between. It greatly shapes the direction forward.

And there are even more exciting stuff in the pipeline that we should announce this month. So stay tuned.

1. Mike says:

This is one of your best releases yet guys! The new UI changes are great but the multi file upload support and fixed GWT issues really made my day. Thanks for working hard on this and making it so awesome. The Tondio Plug is seriously one of the best investments that I have ever made. Keep up the great work.

2. Mike says:

Whatever happened to versions 1.0 to 1.8 haha, looks like you skipped a few. Does that mean Tonido 2.0 is coming next?

3. Bryce says:

I am assuming a TonidoPlug update will be soon to follow?

4. Madhan says:

This is a release for the tonidoplug too! You can do Advanced->Settings->Check For Update to start the update

5. Bogo says:

‘Advanced->Settings->Check for Update’ does nothing for me – I’m still on 0.8.0.11504. What do you think my problem is? I’m in N.Z. – maybe not available for us yet?

6. Madhan says:

@Bogo Which OS? We rolled out the update globally.

7. Bogo says:

Madhan- it’s a TonidoPlug, delivered to me in N.Z. in May 2010 …

8. Madhan says:

You need to post your log at our forum. Are you sure your plug has an internet connection?

9. Bogo says:

Yes, MadHan – been on-line again just to test, also rebooted & restarted. Same result. Have just registered with Forum and copied Tonido log ready to post.

TIA!

10. This release makes me feel VERY ecstatic about having purchased my TonidoPlug earlier this year…just when you think it couldn’t get any cooler an AWESOME upgrade gets released. Keep up the good work guys and know that I and the rest truly appreciate all the effort you put into ensuring that Tonido meets its users needs.

11. Mike says:

I have a plug too and the update did not work at first. After refreshing a couple of times, logging out and back in…it finally worked. I got worried for a moment though.

12. Rusty says:

I’m hesitant to update my Plug with this version; it looks so radical! Can we see some screen shots of all the apps? Have the apps changed their UI too?

13. Madhan says:

New screenshots are not up yet. Apps haven’t changed their UI. You can download the desktop version to see if you like it.

14. Steven says:

I’ve been playing with the desktop version and I like the new UI layout, much more accessible for me. The frequent updates and support convinced me to order a TonidPlug.

I’m looking forward to what future updates will bring.

15. Jack says:

Awesome software pack, totally impressed. Did find a problem on the latest release. If you are listening to music on the jukebox and select the skip button the app hangs and errors out.

16. Madhan says:

Skip meaning, next track?

17. Keyon says:

Alakazaam—information found, prbolem solved, thanks!