Tonido Backup Update Preview
Tonido applications are continuously improved based on user requirements and it is Tonido Backup’s turn to be on the block.
The next version of Tonido is going to contain significant changes to the Tonido Backup application.
The highlights are
- Support for local backup. Now you can backup all your files & folders to an external USB disk connected to your computer or to a different hard disk or to a network drive as well as backing up to remote computer.
- Significantly faster in detecting changed files to perform backup (For example, in my system, file changes in a folder containing 55000 files is detected in about 2 minutes)
- Ability to stop backup activity (and restart will resume backup from the point where the backup was stopped)
- Simplified backup record creation
- Details of the backup activity displayed in UI (File being transferred, size remaining, number of files remaining etc)
Here is a screen-shot showing the details of a Backup in progress. Note that these can change by the time this goes live.
Unfortunately, the new Tonido Backup application is not backwards compatible. This has the following two effects
- The old Tonido’s Backup records will be lost. New backup records must be created 🙁
- For Remote Backups, Tonido Backup would require the remote Tonido Peer to be also at the new version
As always, we highly value your opinions, constructive comments. Please let us know via comments, forum posts or feedback.