What happens to Tonido(Plug) if CodeLathe disappears?

Short Answer:

Nothing much. Everything pretty much continues to work. For the few things that don’t, you can find replacements. So rest assured, your TonidoPlug doesn’t become a $100 brick overnite.

Long Answer:

First of all, CodeLathe has no intention of going under. We are a small company, our overhead is low, our efficiency is amazing and we are slowly working on making Tonido and TonidoPlug the best software on the face of the earth. But if you are still unconvinced, a picture is worth a thousand words. So see graphics below:

whathappens

If CodeLathe goes under:

• Green boxes will continue to work. Your Tonido, Apps/Data all work.
  • Orange boxes functionality can be replaced by other services. e.g. use any other DynamicDNS provider
  • Red boxes will not be available. This includes Tonido Photos sync, Tonido Group Workspace Sync and the Relay Service which is in Beta currently.

We went through a lot of pain to make Tonido self-sufficient. So all your existing apps continue to function as normal and more importantly your data is stored in open SQLITE database formats.

Don’t want to take our word for it? Try it now, disconnect your internet connection and see how Tonido and the apps continue to function and will continue to function after we are long gone.

1. David Sandey says:

Thanks for the reminder about this. What I’d like to know is if there is a way for the P2P functionality to be decentralized at some point?

I understand the convenience factor of having a central server that tracks the current IP address, etc., but surely it must be possible to embed the FQDN associated with the Dynamic DNS account in the contact information so that two clients that know each others FQDN or IP address can talk to each other directly…?

This could allow individual accounts that already know each other to connect. At least it seems sensible….

2. Madhan says:

@David Yes, there are several ways to do it. There could be a cache which maps tonido IDs to IPs and that could be set by the users themselves and so on. There could also be other ways, I am sure. We will work on it.

3. David Sandey says:

@Madhan

Thanks 🙂 It’s good to know that there are ideas out there to remove the remaining areas of reliance on your servers. That seems to be the whole point of Tonido 🙂

Having said that the directory that you maintain is proving to be an excellent resource especially with the new relay service.

I wish you guys a long and happy future with Tonido and any other products that you work on.

4. Gary says:

Hi guys from Codelathe,

I have questions and hope you have answers.

1. Is it possible to rent my hard drive as a file hosting server? For instance, lets say my friend is looking for file hosting service for dirt cheap, can I give him a username and password but not full admin rights to my Tonido control panel?

2. If I want to share my files to the public, can I just display a link for direct download? ex. hxxp://www.gary.dns.com/file.zip or does each person need a login to download.

3. I love all the neat software you guys have, this may sound a bit picky, but can you make the control panel customizable in terms of color. I think the whole white/blue/green is a bit not my taste. Maybe also we can customize the header image as well? In the future perhaps?

Thanks, and keep up the great work/updates. Planning on getting one soon! 🙂

5. Madhan says:

Regarding
    1. You could create a websharepro share(set a size limit), add your friend as user and he could upload files to your drive and download files as needed.
    2. Yes, You can setup a public share and give a link directly to a file.
    3. Yes, possibly, we have a pretty big to-do list and will consider working on this if more and more people do ask for it.

6. […] CodeLathe Blog FUTURE ENGINEERING Skip to content About // Cross-browser implementation of element.addEventListener() function addListener(element, type, expression, bubbling) { bubbling = bubbling || false; if(window.addEventListener) { // Standard element.addEventListener(type, expression, bubbling); return true; } else if(window.attachEvent) { // IE element.attachEvent(‘on’ + type, expression); return true; } else return false; } //This is what i want to do whenever someone clicks on the page function itHappened(evt){ //Get the clicket element var tg = (window.event) ? evt.srcElement : evt.target; //If it is an A element if(tg.nodeName == ‘A’){ //And it is not an internal link if(tg.href.indexOf(location.host) == -1){ //Replace all odd characters, so that it works with Analytics Niavgation analysis var url = tg.href.replace(/[^a-z|A-Z]/g, “_”); var txt = tg.innerHTML.replace(/[^a-z|A-Z]/g, “_”); var str = ‘/outgoinglink/-‘ + txt + ‘-‘ + url; try{ //Track it urchinTracker(str); } catch(err){ //alert(‘error: ‘ + err); } } } } //Add the click listener to the document addListener(document, ‘click’, itHappened); « What happens to Tonido(Plug) if CodeLathe disappears? […]

7. Joel says:

Thanks for this informative post, really quelled some of my concerns.

Just got one question though, what are Dynamic DNS providers and how do we change them? A quick Google search doesn’t tell me much other than there are some free and some paid services. Any idea what I should look for in good ones? Do Dynamic DNS providers affect the speed, reliability and security for the files shared using Tonido Plug?