Tonido Beta Launches!

fireworks

CodeLathe is proud to announce the beta release of our new software product, Tonido (pronounced Tone-ee-doh).

Tonido is an open personal web application platform that offers an array of useful applications. This product is perfect for you if you dislike the idea of your personal data residing on public servers, yet still want to access your applications/data from anywhere without sacrificing privacy.

Currently Available Tonido Apps
* Tonido Jukebox – Organize and play your music via a browser.
* Tonido Photos – Privately share photos without uploading via the Tonido P2P network
* Tonido Workspace – Personal Information Manager and Private P2P Group collaboration
* Tonido Webshare – Share large files from your desktop directly to the web.
* Tonido Thots – Your personal journal and note keeping application

and more are on the way…

If you are interested in getting Tonido, sign up to get an invitation.

1. mfmosman says:

Am I missing something? I clicked on the Mac download (having signed in from your invitation) and nothing happened…

2. Madhan says:

Which browser/OS are you using?

We just tested it on all three browsers. The script we have for downloads might be checking HTTP referrer. Does your browser block that information?

3. Madhan says:

ok, I think there might have been a problem with the script. We just fixed it. Please try again.

4. anthony says:

First Off, Thanks allot for including me in beta.
    I’m pretty excited to give this a test run.
    Only problem is that I have tried installing this on my Vista laptop as well as my XP laptop but in the address section of my browserit shows http://127.0.0.1:10001 and stays that way.
    I dont get any sort of error or page coming up…..just blank page.
    Any suggestions?

5. Madhan says:

Which browser are you using? IE? You can try hitting “Refresh” button in the browser and that should fix the issue.
    Or try a different browser like Firefox.

6. anthony says:

tried using IE and opera and same problem with both.
    Ill give firefox a try and post back.

7. anthony says:

A quick update to my problem.
    My browser shows that the page is busy trying to load but nothing actualy happens.

8. anthony says:

I just tried firefox and it says waiting for 127.0.0.1……
    The page remains blank while it says waiting for 127.0.0.1…… in the firefox taskbar.

So i suspect that the problem is not with the browser because ive tried opera firefox and IE

9. codemechanic says:

Hi Anthony,
    Do you have any desktop firewall installed in your computer? May be the firewall is blocking your 10001 port.

10. Jason says:

Hey guys. Any support for Server 2003? I’m trying to get this working on my Windows Home Server (which is just running a scaled down version of Server 2003 SB). It seems to install fine but will not launch. It pops up in the system tray and then just disappears. Nothing works. This could be a great addition to my WHS since I’m already able to connect to this remotely and its always on but I just can’t seem to get it to work.

Just a couple of things I tried: Turned OFF the firewall, Re-installed, Set Compatibilty mode to XP, Restarted the machine. Nothing seems to work. Are there any apps or services that Tonido requires to run? Hopefully you can help.

11. Madhan says:

Jason, that is odd. We haven’t tested Tonido in 2003, but we would have expected it to work.

We would love to get it working

Couple of things to try:

1. try launching the tonido.exe instead of the using the shortcut.
    2. Open %APPDATA%\tonido\data\logs and check the tonido.log, it should have clues to what is wrong. You can send the log to us for debugging.

12. Jason says:

I actually just found the Tonido.exe poking around a little and that worked fine. I was even able to enable port fowarding on my router and in the WHS and can access the logon page from: Myuserid.homeserver.com:10001 which is the home servers default remote access page. Pretty cool app by the way. I’ll have to poke around in it a little later this week and see what I can get it to do 🙂

I have the log files if you’d like to see them. Just let me know where to send them.

13. Madhan says:

Jason, great to hear you got it running. Log files are not needed. We will try to debug this problem on Windows 2003 server here. The difference between launching tonido via the shortcut vs tonido.exe is that the shortcut will try to reduce privileges of the Tonido process to run as a non-admin.

14. tester321 says:

Linux is not only Ubuntu.
    Where can i get source of Tonido for linux ,plz ?

15. Huy says:

Dear Tonido Team,

Thank you so much!!!! I just downloaded this thing and got it running on my mac osx.

My First impression: Awesome. Hands Down.

To give some background… I’ve been running my own personal webserver on localhost for some time now. It has several web applications such as a wiki and a blog that I use to keep private notes for myself.

Tonido solves a major problem I’ve always had with putting my personal data online. Even though the user experience for some webapps can be so much more appealing than desktop apps, there’s always a lingering fear that one day all of my information would be gone. Mint.com is an example of one of those apps.

I think if you guys made a Money Management app with a good user interface for Tonido, I would be one of the first people in line to buy it.

On another note, have you thought about setting up an “App Store” for Tonido? I’m a Django/Python developer and I know that some of my colleagues would be very interested in developing apps for this platform.

Sincerely,
    Huy

16. Madhan says:

@tester321 If you can tell us which Linux distribution you are using, we can see if there is sufficient demand for us to create a package.

17. Madhan says:

@Huy, thanks for your feedback! We are definitely thinking about creating an “app store” or along those lines.

One of the things we are trying to figure out is getting the Tonido Platform SDK out. As you might have seen, Tonido apps backend is written in C++ , but we are interested in bindings to other languages like PHP and Python. We already have LUA support. We are looking at stuff like SWIG.

If you have any experience in exporting C++ in Python please let us know or point us towards those resources. It will be quite useful to us.

18. tester321 says:

Hi Madhan,
    i think (and much tested), that only Debian and Gentoo (maybe Fedora and CentOS) are right Linux Distributions for Webserver like OS.
    I can dream only about FreeBSD source in Ports….

19. Madhan says:

Thanks for letting us know. We will consider supporting Debian and other OSes.

20. Sam says:

Does it not work with proxy?
    If so, any workarounds?

21. Madhan says:

@sam, could you tell what exactly you are trying to do and what doesn’t work?
    If it helps, you can post in the forums, http://www.tonido.com/forum

22. Very nice work. I’m digging the program so far. I’d love to see more functionality soon. The existing apps are great and I can only see this getting better and better.

Thanks for releasing it as open source! 🙂

Branden

23. Chris Lockwood says:

This project looks great, I would be very interested in trailing a Fedora package should it ever be supported.

Are there any plans to support such a platform?

24. Madhan says:

@chris Eventually we like to although I can’t say a firm schedule for it.