New Tonido Android App brings Document Storage Provider Support: Attach files to Gmail directly from your Tonido Personal Cloud
The new Tonido 4.0 app has been built with powerful features which provide quick and secure access to your files stored in Tonido Server.
The new Tonido Android app implements DocumentProviders and allows apps with Android Storage Access Framework (SAF) support to browse and choose files directly from Tonido Personal Cloud Server. SAF support is available from Android 4.4.
For instance, one can pick files directly from Tonido Personal Cloud to attach in one’s Gmail. The below figure illustrates the support for document access framework to pick files directly from Tonido Server.
Step 1: Attaching files through Gmail from Tonido Server
Step 2: Browser and select the files from the Tonido Server shown in the left side panel.
We have an awesome news to share with you. We have made both Tonido Pro (29$/year) and Tonido Biz (99$/year) completely free. Just install the latest Tonido and get all the paid features at no cost. For complete list of features, Please check http://www.tonido.com/
Now with Tonido being free, Data Privacy doesn’t have to be a privilege anymore. Each and Every one of you can run your own Personal Cloud at no cost to protect your personal data.
We are committed in making Tonido as the #1 Personal Cloud server that safeguards your data privacy and internet freedom. We thank you for your continued support.
New FileCloud Service Provider Edition Enables MSPs to Launch Own Branded Enterprise File Sync and Share Offerings
White Label, Enterprise File Sharing and Sync Platform Adds Service Provider Partners in UK, Canada, Switzerland, Norway, and Belgium
AUSTIN, TEXAS (11/19/2014) — CodeLathe, the leader in enterprise private cloud, today announced the immediate availability of FileCloud Service Provider Edition, a white label file sharing, and sync solution for Managed Service Providers (MSPs). FileCloud Service Provider Edition enables MSPs to provide end-to-end file sync, file share, and mobile access solution to their small business and enterprise customers. FileCloud is self-hosted by service providers using their own data center infrastructure.
“Few public cloud companies have tried to monopolize world’s information under their cloud storage services,” said Madhan Kanagavel, chief executive, CodeLathe’s. “Doing so brings unprecedented security, privacy risks, and a total lack of control for businesses. But with the introduction of FileCloud Service Provider Edition, MSPs can now offer an enterprise-level cloud solution to manage file sharing and sync solution for businesses in their region, which, often times, offers better security and trusted service than non-local providers.”
Businesses now can get FileCloud from the one of the following Service Providers: Mitol.co (United Kingdom), Moresi.com (Switzerland), MTF Cloud (Switzerland), Braathe Gruppen (Norway), Computerland (Belgium), 010 Cloud Computing (Israel) and Websdepot (Canada).
FileCloud Service Provider Edition comes in three flavors: Premium, Advanced and Basic. The Premium Edition gives web, desktop and mobile branding while the Advanced and Basic Edition gives desktop, and web branding respectively. FileCloud Service Provider Edition is also offered under Service Provider Licensing Agreement (SPLA) that provides a simple, pay-as-you-go, pricing.
Key features of FileCloud SP Edition are:
- Multi-Tenancy – Multiple FileCloud sites can be housed in single install of FileCloud;
- Custom Branding – Web, Desktop and Mobile app Branding;
- Multi-Administrator – Role based access control and ability to add multiple administrators for each site;
- FileCloud API’s – API’s to manage tenants and users enabling 3rd party integration.
“We investigated many cloud solutions, but from the word go we were very impressed with the professionalism of Codelathe,” said Lee Morrell, chief executive, Mitol Backup. “Throughout the product development process, they have been proactive and supportive in how they have tailored their FileCloud solution to meet our business model requirements. We have already recruited over 100 resellers to our FileCloud channel, and with the launch of the FileCloud Service Provider Edition, Mitol looks forward to strengthening an already close relationship with Codelathe.”
“We have many requests from partners, and customers for securing their digital life in a secure place in Switzerland,” said Nicola Mores, chief executive, Moresi.Com SA. “FileCloud is the best choice for empowering our customers with an enterprise cloud solution that is offered by a Swiss-based service provider. Their business model and professional support were the key reasons for our decision to move forward with Codelathe in this emerging market.”
FileCloud is available through 37 partners in 17 countries around the globe. For more information or to try FileCloud Service Provider Edition, please visit www.getfilecloud.com/spla.
The most passionate Tonido users run Tonido on a dedicated PC or a TonidoPlug. Our vision is to make Tonido a compelling alternative to public online services to protect your data privacy and internet freedom. To achieve that vision we are bringing Tonido to different computing devices. Few months back we have launched Tonido for Raspberry Pi. Now we are bringing Tonido to QNAP NAS. Just install the Tonido Personal Cloud Software on your QNAP NAS and convert into your own Personal Cloud that you can access it from anywhere. Get Tonido for QNAP here.
Access all your files stored QNAP from anywhere
- Tonido Server allows you to access all your files on your QNAP from a web browser, Smartphone, tablet or even DLNA enabled devices. No setup necessary.
- You get an easy to remember link to your QNAP NAS. e.g.: http://john.tonidoID.com.
- Tonido Server is ideal for Home Users, Professionals and Small Businesses who need a file sharing solution. It’s your own Personal Cloud.
2-way file synchronization between your PCs and QNAP
- Tonido Sync allows you to synchronize your files, documents, media, videos among your computers and QNAP NAS.
- Any file you save to your Tonido Sync folder instantly saves to all your computers and QNAP NAS.
- Works even when you are not connected to the internet. You always have your files, whether or not you have an internet connection.
- Use any computer running any operating system Windows, Linux or Mac
Automatic backup of your Photos from iPhone and Android
- Automatically upload photos and videos from your iPhones/Android devices to QNAP NAS without user intervention.
- No storage limits. No more subscription fees.
- Complete Privacy. 100% Security.
Live streaming of music and videos
- Quick secure access to your entire music and videos collection wherever you are without uploading them to online cloud services.
- Video Streaming – Easily stream videos from your QNAP to your device.
- Music Streaming – Stream your entire music collection in different formats (including FLAC, OGG, WMA, MP3 and more) without saving them locally on your device.
Automatically organize and catalog your personal photos, music and videos stored in QNAP NAS
- Ultra Fast, High Performance Media Indexing
- Automatic organization of photos by year and month based on EXIF Meta data
- Automatic indexing of music and organize it based on Song, Artist, Genre and Album names
Secure multi-user access, sharing and granular permissions
- Share large files, folders or any content from your QNAP directly with family, colleagues or your clients or customers.
- Create a secure private share that only authorized people are allowed to access them.
- Guest user accounts for private, authorized access.
We have plans to bring Tonido to ReadyNAS and Synology devices depending on the users interest. Let us know.
Secure storage software brings unlimited, hack proof, automatic backup of photos and videos to Android Phones/Tablets
AUSTIN, Texas, Sept. 17, 2014 — CodeLathe, the leader in personal cloud products, has launched a major app release that will allow users to automatically backup their photos and videos from Android Phones/Tablets to their computers running Tonido Personal Cloud software. This new feature is offered completely free to customers and there is no storage limits or subscription fees.
The self-hosted, personal cloud solution allows users to view documents, play music, browse photos, watch videos and share files without storing it in public online services. Individuals begin by downloading the free Tonido server app on their desktop and the free mobile app onto their Android device. The app safely connects users to the documents stored on their desktop in seconds. Users can access their files via Wi-Fi or 3G mobile networks and automatically backup their photos and videos from Android to their Tonido personal cloud.
“Time and time again, popular public cloud online services are proving that they are not safe for storing private photos or documents. The recent celebrity photo hack is an ample proof to that effect. With Tonido, now users have an alternative choice to public online services. Tonido can provide unlimited photo upload functionality that is order of magnitude more secure than public cloud services” said Madhan Kanagavel, CEO of Codelathe.
Tonido Personal cloud is built from scratch for secure access and private sharing. Tonido’s distributed architecture, anonymous user name policy and not storing password in servers makes Tonido more secure than public online services.
“One of the most used feature of public cloud services like Dropbox; Google Drive; Apple iCloud etc is the ability to automatically backup photos of the mobile devices without user intervention. With the latest Tonido Android App and Tonido server you can now get this feature in your very own private cloud. No more storage limits, No more security concerns” said Anis Abdul, CTO of CodeLathe.
- Free, Unlimited, Automatic backup of photos and videos
- Automatic, multi-format live video, audio transcoding and streaming
- Tonido companion server apps are available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
- Easy to remember web URL access to your computer
The Tonido server app is available for free download at http://www.tonido.com.
The Tonido Android app is available for free on the Android Play Store at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tonido.android&hl=en.
If you are following the news, the internet is currently abuzz with the massive celebrity photo hacking incident. Hundreds of celebrities are affected by this leak including Academic Award winner Jennifer Lawrence and super model Kate Upton. According to news sources, hackers hacked either celebrities Apple iCloud or Dropbox accounts. The exact details of how the hacking happened is not completely clear yet . One can read more about this story in NPR here. Here is the editorial piece from NYTimes on the same topic.
The primary reason we founded Tonido is to provide a safe alternative to public online services where the users have complete control and ownership of the data. We have reiterated many times that the public cloud online services are inherently unsafe to store personal photos. When hundreds of millions users use a centralized cloud like iCloud (300 M+ accounts) or Dropbox (300 M accounts) or Google Drive to store personal documents and photos, the potential reward of hacking such systems are quite high. These centralized online services are waiting to be hacked every second of a day, 365 days a year. One successful hacking attempt can inadvertently expose many users private data. Even if these companies employ world’s leading computer security experts, there will never be a guarantee that these systems are completely safe.
There is also a genuine concern that individuals hand over their personal data to corporate entities without fully understanding the consequences. There is always a risk that your personal data will be data mined for profit motives. If you use iPhone or Android Phone, you are automatically opt-in to backup your photos/videos to their respective cloud services. Opting out from automatic backup is a not an intuitive process. These systems are primarily designed to suck the personal data rather than safe guarding it. Even if you delete the photos from your device there is no guarantee that it will be deleted from the cloud server. Further, once your personal data enters the public cloud, the data is at the mercy of those who administer it. In short, “Don’t put private files in the cloud if you don’t want it to get out “
But users have choices though. Privacy doesn’t has to be a privilege. A little commonsense can go long way. A distributed system like Tonido will always be order of magnitude more secure than Dropbox or Google Drive. Tonido is probably one of the best system to safeguard your personal data because of its anonymity, zero knowledge of user password and storage of data in the user device rather than the cloud.
For instance, let us go through the Tonido account creation process. Users can choose any name as their account name. We don’t have real name policy like public clouds. User passwords are neither transmitted to us or stored in our servers. If somebody wants to hack the system, hacking our servers is not going to help. They have to individually hack every device that is running Tonido. if you choose a sufficiently hard user name and the password then hackers need to hack both the username and the password. Users can choose a secondary question and answer to further protect thier accounts. Since your unique username is part of the device URL (https://yourname.tonidoid.com), phishing attempts can be quickly discovered by the users.
Here are 10 Reasons Why you should consider Tonido over Public online services for storing private data?
- No Real Name Policy – Unlike Facebook or Google, we don’t require a real name to create Tonido account. You can choose any name.
- Completely Independent – To facilitate ease of use, we provide dynamic dns and relay server to access your Tonido device from anywhere. You are free to use your own.
- Complete Control – Turn it On or Turn it Off any time.
- Private and anonymous shares– Tonido allows you to create private and anonymous file shares
- Ephemeral Shares – Tonido allows you to create time limited, ephemeral file shares that you can use to share content with friends and family
- Guest user support – Create user accounts for your family members and friends in your own Personal Cloud
- Works without internet – The application and data is always local. You can access your Tonido device from your home network even if there is no internet
- Password Security – We don’t store your passwords in our system.
- Cross Platform and works on any device – Tonido is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Just a Raspberry Pi is enough to run Tonido.
- Powerful Alternative to Online Services – Out of the Box, Tonido can replace Google Drive, Dropbox, Picassa, Flickr, Facebook and Spotify (If you own your music).
In addition to the security benefits, Tonido is extremely simple to use. It will take less than 5 minutes to set it up. One can also automatically backup photos/videos from iPhones/Android Phones to their own Personal Cloud without worrying about security and privacy.
We invite Jeniffer, Kate and other individuals, who would like to safeguard their private data to try out Tonido Personal Cloud. We promise you will not be disappointed.
1. Select a Song, Tap on it and Play, It starts playing in Tonido Player.
2. On the top right of player you will find 4 icons, 2nd icon with help you change the quality while the music is being streamed.
3. Click on the icon and select as you need. And the Quality of the Music is Changed!.
All you have to do is, 1. Select the file/folder you need to share. 2. Click on the options button that appears at the top right corner. 3. Click on “Share Folder”. 4. Click OK 5. Click on any one of the installed app . This will redirect you to the app. You can thereby send the share link of your file/folder. Thats it! Files/Folders are being shared.
1. Connect your Tonido Android app to the server, to which you want to upload your files.
2. After Successfully Logging in, Navigate to the folder that you want to upload to.
3. Now, look at the top right of your app and you will find settings button, click on it
4. Click on “Upload to folder” option, now you will have different options like Photo Library, Video Library, etc.
5. Click on the option you desire to and upload to the system.
We are happy to announce the immediate availability of Tonido Desktop Version 5.80 for all platforms, Windows, Mac OSX, Linux 32 and 64-bit, TonidoPlug and the Raspberry Pi.
The following list is the main set of changes for this release.
v 22.214.171.124973 – July 24, 2014
- – Support for Raspberry Pi
- – Support for Ubuntu Linux 64 bit (12.04 and greater)
- – Fix crash when stopping movie playback during transcoding
- – Mix of uppercase and lowercase guests is no longer supported
- – Webshare: Share option to be removed for guest listings
- – Webshare: Fix issues with sharing dialog
- – Webshare: Single image shared to guest user doesn’t open correctly
- – PHP Support has been removed