Secure storage software brings unlimited, hack proof, automatic backup of photos and videos to Android Phones/Tablets
AUSTIN, Texas, Sept. 17, 2014 – CodeLathe, the leader in personal cloud products, has launched a major app release that will allow users to automatically backup their photos and videos from Android Phones/Tablets to their computers running Tonido Personal Cloud software. This new feature is offered completely free to customers and there is no storage limits or subscription fees.
The self-hosted, personal cloud solution allows users to view documents, play music, browse photos, watch videos and share files without storing it in public online services. Individuals begin by downloading the free Tonido server app on their desktop and the free mobile app onto their Android device. The app safely connects users to the documents stored on their desktop in seconds. Users can access their files via Wi-Fi or 3G mobile networks and automatically backup their photos and videos from Android to their Tonido personal cloud.
“Time and time again, popular public cloud online services are proving that they are not safe for storing private photos or documents. The recent celebrity photo hack is an ample proof to that effect. With Tonido, now users have an alternative choice to public online services. Tonido can provide unlimited photo upload functionality that is order of magnitude more secure than public cloud services” said Madhan Kanagavel, CEO of Codelathe.
Tonido Personal cloud is built from scratch for secure access and private sharing. Tonido’s distributed architecture, anonymous user name policy and not storing password in servers makes Tonido more secure than public online services.
“One of the most used feature of public cloud services like Dropbox; Google Drive; Apple iCloud etc is the ability to automatically backup photos of the mobile devices without user intervention. With the latest Tonido Android App and Tonido server you can now get this feature in your very own private cloud. No more storage limits, No more security concerns” said Anis Abdul, CTO of CodeLathe.
- Free, Unlimited, Automatic backup of photos and videos
- Automatic, multi-format live video, audio transcoding and streaming
- Tonido companion server apps are available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
- Easy to remember web URL access to your computer
The Tonido server app is available for free download at http://www.tonido.com.
The Tonido Android app is available for free on the Android Play Store at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tonido.android&hl=en.
If you are following the news, the internet is currently abuzz with the massive celebrity photo hacking incident. Hundreds of celebrities are affected by this leak including Academic Award winner Jennifer Lawrence and super model Kate Upton. According to news sources, hackers hacked either celebrities Apple iCloud or Dropbox accounts. The exact details of how the hacking happened is not completely clear yet . One can read more about this story in NPR here. Here is the editorial piece from NYTimes on the same topic.
The primary reason we founded Tonido is to provide a safe alternative to public online services where the users have complete control and ownership of the data. We have reiterated many times that the public cloud online services are inherently unsafe to store personal photos. When hundreds of millions users use a centralized cloud like iCloud (300 M+ accounts) or Dropbox (300 M accounts) or Google Drive to store personal documents and photos, the potential reward of hacking such systems are quite high. These centralized online services are waiting to be hacked every second of a day, 365 days a year. One successful hacking attempt can inadvertently expose many users private data. Even if these companies employ world’s leading computer security experts, there will never be a guarantee that these systems are completely safe.
There is also a genuine concern that individuals hand over their personal data to corporate entities without fully understanding the consequences. There is always a risk that your personal data will be data mined for profit motives. If you use iPhone or Android Phone, you are automatically opt-in to backup your photos/videos to their respective cloud services. Opting out from automatic backup is a not an intuitive process. These systems are primarily designed to suck the personal data rather than safe guarding it. Even if you delete the photos from your device there is no guarantee that it will be deleted from the cloud server. Further, once your personal data enters the public cloud, the data is at the mercy of those who administer it. In short, “Don’t put private files in the cloud if you don’t want it to get out “
But users have choices though. Privacy doesn’t has to be a privilege. A little commonsense can go long way. A distributed system like Tonido will always be order of magnitude more secure than Dropbox or Google Drive. Tonido is probably one of the best system to safeguard your personal data because of its anonymity, zero knowledge of user password and storage of data in the user device rather than the cloud.
For instance, let us go through the Tonido account creation process. Users can choose any name as their account name. We don’t have real name policy like public clouds. User passwords are neither transmitted to us or stored in our servers. If somebody wants to hack the system, hacking our servers is not going to help. They have to individually hack every device that is running Tonido. if you choose a sufficiently hard user name and the password then hackers need to hack both the username and the password. Users can choose a secondary question and answer to further protect thier accounts. Since your unique username is part of the device URL (https://yourname.tonidoid.com), phishing attempts can be quickly discovered by the users.
Here are 10 Reasons Why you should consider Tonido over Public online services for storing private data?
- No Real Name Policy – Unlike Facebook or Google, we don’t require a real name to create Tonido account. You can choose any name.
- Completely Independent - To facilitate ease of use, we provide dynamic dns and relay server to access your Tonido device from anywhere. You are free to use your own.
- Complete Control – Turn it On or Turn it Off any time.
- Private and anonymous shares- Tonido allows you to create private and anonymous file shares
- Ephemeral Shares – Tonido allows you to create time limited, ephemeral file shares that you can use to share content with friends and family
- Guest user support – Create user accounts for your family members and friends in your own Personal Cloud
- Works without internet – The application and data is always local. You can access your Tonido device from your home network even if there is no internet
- Password Security – We don’t store your passwords in our system.
- Cross Platform and works on any device – Tonido is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Just a Raspberry Pi is enough to run Tonido.
- Powerful Alternative to Online Services – Out of the Box, Tonido can replace Google Drive, Dropbox, Picassa, Flickr, Facebook and Spotify (If you own your music).
In addition to the security benefits, Tonido is extremely simple to use. It will take less than 5 minutes to set it up. One can also automatically backup photos/videos from iPhones/Android Phones to their own Personal Cloud without worrying about security and privacy.
We invite Jeniffer, Kate and other individuals, who would like to safeguard their private data to try out Tonido Personal Cloud. We promise you will not be disappointed.
1. Select a Song, Tap on it and Play, It starts playing in Tonido Player.
2. On the top right of player you will find 4 icons, 2nd icon with help you change the quality while the music is being streamed.
3. Click on the icon and select as you need. And the Quality of the Music is Changed!.
All you have to do is, 1. Select the file/folder you need to share. 2. Click on the options button that appears at the top right corner. 3. Click on “Share Folder”. 4. Click OK 5. Click on any one of the installed app . This will redirect you to the app. You can thereby send the share link of your file/folder. Thats it! Files/Folders are being shared.
1. Connect your Tonido Android app to the server, to which you want to upload your files.
2. After Successfully Logging in, Navigate to the folder that you want to upload to.
3. Now, look at the top right of your app and you will find settings button, click on it
4. Click on “Upload to folder” option, now you will have different options like Photo Library, Video Library, etc.
5. Click on the option you desire to and upload to the system.
We are happy to announce the immediate availability of Tonido Desktop Version 5.80 for all platforms, Windows, Mac OSX, Linux 32 and 64-bit, TonidoPlug and the Raspberry Pi.
The following list is the main set of changes for this release.
v 188.8.131.52973 – July 24, 2014
- - Support for Raspberry Pi
- - Support for Ubuntu Linux 64 bit (12.04 and greater)
- - Fix crash when stopping movie playback during transcoding
- - Mix of uppercase and lowercase guests is no longer supported
- - Webshare: Share option to be removed for guest listings
- - Webshare: Fix issues with sharing dialog
- - Webshare: Single image shared to guest user doesn’t open correctly
- - PHP Support has been removed
Personal Cloud Tonido Launches App for Raspberry Pi – Instantly Access, Share and Sync Personal Files
New App for Raspberry Pi makes Private File Sharing and Data Privacy attainable by Everyone
AUSTIN, Texas, July 22, 2014 – CodeLathe, the leader in personal cloud, today launched Tonido App for Raspberry Pi that provides anywhere access to personal files stored in the Pi while enjoying the security, privacy and unlimited access. Tonido lets individuals’ access documents, see photos, listen to music and watch videos stored on storage devices (USB Drives, SD card) connected to Raspberry Pi. Users can now share their personal files and media without worrying about the privacy and security of their data.
“Tonido allows anybody to instantly create their own Personal Cloud while Raspberry PI is an embodiment of DIY movement. By combining both we have made data privacy and private sharing viable to everyone. We are delighted to bring Tonido to Raspberry Pi.” said Anis Abdul, CTO of CodeLathe.
Tonido offers users secure access to their entire collection of documents, photos, music and videos stored in Pi from anywhere without having to upload it to a public cloud service. Individuals begin by downloading the free Tonido server app on their Raspberry Pi and get the Tonido mobile apps for iOS, Android and Windows Phone 8. Employing smart LAN switching technology to use gigabit access speed within home LAN networks, the app safely connects users to the files stored on their Pi in seconds. Users can also access their files via Wi-Fi or mobile networks, backup their photos and videos from their mobile phones to their Tonido personal cloud, and download files for offline viewing.
“More than ever, internet users are realizing data ownership and privacy is no longer safe and secure in popular online services and they’re turning towards personal cloud services like Tonido for their remote access and sharing needs. Raspberry Pi’s low power footprint and affordability makes it an ideal platform for Tonido and now everyone can run their own Personal Cloud with ease,” said Madhan Kanagavel, CEO of CodeLathe.
Tonido for Raspberry Pi Features
- Access, Share, Sync files and media from anywhere
- Automatic media indexing and organization of photos, music and videos
- Automatic Smartphone photos and videos backup
- Automatic multi-format music streaming and playlist support (including FLAC, OGG, WMA, MP3, and more)
- Native Mobile apps for all the popular mobile OS’s (iOS, Android, Windows Phone and Blackberry)
- Plug- and-Play remote access. No fiddling with router settings
- Easy to remember web URL access to your Raspberry PI
- Available for both Raspbian and Raspbmc
For more information on the Tonido for Raspberry Pi app, visit: http://www.tonido.com/tonido-for-raspberry-pi-2/
Indexing allows Tonido to search for certain file types such as Photos, Audio and Video and organizes them for different type of access. Once files are indexed, different clients such as the web browser, mobile clients can provide rich user experience in accessing those file.
Once a folder is set for indexing, Tonido server will scan the folders and will build an “index” of files based on their meta data. The folders will be rescanned periodically as well to detect changes to the files.
2. Select the folder you need to index
3. Click on “index now” button.
This will add pictures, videos, and music files to music,photos and videos library.
4. To delete an indexed folder , Click on the delete button
The indexed Folder will be deleted
If in case you have changed the password of your account then you can skip the step of recreating an account and follow this basic editing:
1. Open Tonido Android app and give a long press on the account you want to edit.
2. A dialog box opens with an option to edit or delete the account, Click on edit and then OK.
3. Edit and necessary changes and Sign in.
To Create a Application lock :
All you need to do is,
Click on the settings icon that appears at the top left corner.
Click on the “manage application lock “.
Then Click on the “Enable Lock”
Draw the pattern to create application lock
Application lock is now created for your tonido app.
To Change the Application lock :
Click on the settings icon that appears at the top left corner
Click on “Change Lock”.
Draw your old pattern
Now draw your new pattern and confirm
Your Application lock is now changed.